406 W. Fifth St.
Street number prior to 1925: 932 Fifth

The rear half of this house seems to date back to a home built by Prussian stone mason Anton Karls. In 1867 the only homes in this block were the Buck's house (no longer standing) and this one. In 1892 the front half was built as a rental property by James P. Buck. Another owner, George Schmidt, partnered with father Matthias (412-416 W. Fifth St.) in his clothing store. Floorboards found in a 1901 addition were made from the crates used for shipping hats and suits to the store.